Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mystery Man



Oh to be me. It's not so bad mind you. Here's a little story...

So I go with a friend of mine to the Culture Room, we're there to see Hot Hot Heat and the Editors. Louis XIV is also playing but we miss them. Anyhow, we see both bands. I'm broke so this means my drink minimum is at a real minimum, and i'm pretty sober. Between bands my friends and I scope out the male situation, the usuals are there, the skinny jean - t-shirt - messy hair clad gents which all look like they weigh less than me wet with boots on (not that i'm fat by any means) but still. Sickly looking boys, which i like, don't get me wrong...I digress, amidst these pale males I see the Adonis in the crowd. This boy had me salivating. Gorgeous. Who was he? He walked around with swagger, mystery and a touch of bravado, just how i like them.

I lose track of him somehow as the other band starts to play, "Who cares" I think to myself, " He probably has a girlfriend, or a wife, or both" They all tend to do when you get to my age (30). I let it go. Watch the Editors, get pushed around a bit, etc. After they play I spot my future heartache walking around. My friends who are equally enamored with this mystery man persuade me to stay a little longer by offering me liquor. I agree. I casually wait for them at the end of the bar while I wait I make eye contact with mysterio, I smile an "acknowledging" smile and look away uninterested. I assume this peaked his fancy as it drew him near and HE began speaking to ME. I played it cool. In true Fonz style and lo and behold my groupie dna was well at work even when i was unaware that the mysterious man that peaked my fancy was indeed Jimmy Armbrust from LOUIS XIV. We spoke of the Wayward Sailor Saloon, his pending trip to St. Petersburg, FL to see the Dali Museum and I was able to subtly suggest that he should give me his phone number, which he did. All this in plain view of my awestruck female cohorts. Ah! It's in the blood, what can i say? I called once, just to verify it was his number. Got the machine, didn't leave a message and never called back. It's all about the hunt sometimes, and my black eye-lined prey had been caught with nothing but a smile.mm

No comments: